Have discovered plica fimbriata under tongue. Getting inflamed taste buds and soreness toward the back of my mouth/throat. Cause?

My tongue/mouth has been feeling "off" for about 5-6 days, at times somewhat sore. I have discovered plica fimbriata under my tongue which I never noticed before, am getting inflamed tastebuds, some soreness toward the back of my mouth/throat, some gum inflammation and now what looks like scalloped edges of my tongue. What might be causing all this? At first I thought it might be an allergic reaction but I didn't think that would last this long. I have Celiac but have never encountered these symptoms before even after being glutened.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Varnika J.P. 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

Thank you for giving an elaborate history.mentioning that you have celiac disease is a very important point.

What you are experiencing are the Oral symptoms of Celiac disease.these sometimes present much late in some patients..and as Celiac disease is generally thought to be mostly an intestinal problem these symptoms are ignored.

The oral manifestations of Celiac disease include-

1.Geographic tongue (gluten induced damage on the tongue – makes the tongue look similar to a topographical map) hence the scalloped edges and inflamed taste buds
2.Tonsilar stones or exudates (appears as white lumps of puss embedded in the tonsils).hence the soreness at the back of your tongue
3.Pharyngeal Erythema (chronic severe redness in the back of the throat)
4.Gum Inflammation

other symptoms that can present are-
Excessive mucus production (leads to chronic throat clearing)
Cystic Frenula (a small cyst can form on the flap of skin connecting your top lip to your gums)
Metallic taste in the mouth

generally the sores heal on their own but if they are large, painful, or persistent, you can get antimicrobial mouth rinse,
2.over-the-counter solution to reduce the pain and irritation.

Other home remedies include-
Make a mouth rinse from salt water or baking soda. Put ice directly on the sore. Cover the sore with a baking soda paste.also continue avoiding gluten in your diet.

As for the Plica Fimbriata-They are normal residual tissue not completely reabsorbed by the body during the development and growth of the tongue.they can be up to 4 in numbers in some people too..they are harmless structures,and you don't need to worry about them

If the symptoms don't subside within few days,kindly get one examination done by your dentist so as to start with anti-biotics.

Thank you,