Have discomforted back area middle of rib. Become worse when drink coke. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi..I have discomforted right side in the back area seems to be the middle of my back lower rib area. Seems to become worse when I drink diet coke. Resting helps and in the morning I feel better but I still know it's there. I'm trying to stop the diet coke totally but am concerned if damage is already done.
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be postural or due to muscle stiffness.

Detailed Answer:
Common causes of low back pain are-

Poor postural habits
Muscular strain
Ligaments sprain
Herniated disc
Spinal stenosis
The first step is to ensure that you maintain an appropriate posture while working on the computer. Take frequent stretch breaks and drink lots of water not diet coke. Discontinue using pillow while sleeping straight. Do not lift heavy objects, especially after bending down. Eat a healthy wholesome meal which should satisfy your minerals and proteins requirement.

The most essential and long lasting remedy is exercises. There are certain back strengthening and neck isometric exercises that you must learn from a physiotherapist and perform them at home or work whenever possible. You can also undergo a weeks session of traction at your physiotherapist's clinic.

Last but not least, if its unbearable take medications or muscle relaxant prescribed by your physician. And if it has been long standing illness visit your orthopaedician and clinically-radiologically establish a diagnosis to commence definitive treatment.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.