Have discomfort in chest after having a certain food. What are the symptoms of cancer in gastrointestinal area?

Oncologist, Surgical
What are the best tests to check if a person has cancer in the gastrointestinal area.What are the common symptoms?
I have discomfort in my chest area after having a certain type of food e.g tomato based food,papaya.slight pain and can feel the lumps of food in my chest,need plenty of water to make the foods go down my chest.Sometimes I feel discomfort in my chest.
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Colon Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 4 hours later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. By the description of your symptoms it seems as if you have a problem in the food pipe or the esophagus. Patients with problems in the esophagus present with difficulty in swallowing and require large quantities of water to swallow the food. It can be associated with chest pain as well.
This can either be due to a tumor (mass) in the esophagus or due to a motility disorder. The best way to rule out either of them is to get an upper GI endoscopy. This would reveal the exact cause of the problem and the treatment would be given accordingly. These symptoms can also be explained due to chronic reflux.
Another possibility is the present of fungal infection (candidiasis) of the esophagus. This can occur in patients using steroid sprays (like qvar). It is advisable that you rinse your mouth thoroughly 5 minutes after using this spray.
If there is a problem in the endoscopy, then a CT scan of the abdomen can also be done.
You should review with a surgeon as soon as possible and schedule a date for the endoscopy.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.