Have discomfort in back and feeling tired all the time. Is it parathyroid?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I have been in back discomfort for 6 months, I have lose 25 pounds, Vitamin D count was 11. Feel tired all the time or just don't feel right. All my tests have come back normal. Could it be Parathyroid and the doctors not seeing it?
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Brief Answer: History suggestive of calcium deficiency Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX The vitamin D levels are low. Low vitamin D levels lead to low calcium levels. Low calcium level leads to many symptoms notably body aches, joint pains, spasms, etc. Very severe deficiency is associated with disorders of coagulation and abnormalities of cardiac rhythm. You need to get blood calcium levels- total and ionic. If found to be deficient, you need to take calcium and vitamin D preparation. The calcium levels are controlled by various organs in the body- parathyroid, intestine and kidneys. Parathyroid secretes parathormone, main function of which is to maintain calcium and phosphorus levels in the body. Abnormality of the function of parathyroid can cause abnormalities in level of calcium. A test for the levels of parathormone can be done. Get the investigations prescribed by your doctor, If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal