Have dilated pancreas and common duct. What could this be?

I have a dilated pancreas 6-7 mm and common duct is dliated 9-10 mm What could this be?
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Dilated pancreas along with dilated common duct could probably be due to stones in the pancreatic duct.

Such stones are usually made of cholesterol or bile and secondary to chronic pancreatitis, which could be subclinical most of times.

I suggest you to get a Ultrasound scan to rule out the same.

If the diagnosis is confirmed then any of the treatment modalities like ERCP ((endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatoscope), ESWL (Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy) and removal of stone by a balloon sphincteropasty can be opted.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there re any other concerns.