Have digestive problems and bleeding. Could it be an infection?

Mar 2013
I have 11 days until I am suppose to start my period and I have been bleeding for the last 5 days. The reason I am conserned is becauae I have been having digestive problems for the last 5 or so months and now this. I also got sick a few days ago and there was blood. I am not sure if I have an infection in my body or if it could be worse. I am planning to go to the doctors but wondered what you thought?
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query. Since you have been sick and under stress, a period that is deviant from normal could be explained by this. If you are sexually active, then the possibility of a pregnancy or related complication should be ruled out first. By pregnancy related complications - I mean a miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy. Also, intercycle bleeding could signify - a uterine / cervical polyp or fibroid uterus . Thickening of the lining of the uterus ( endometrial hyperplasia ) or thickening of the wall of the uterus ( adenomyosis ) also can cause such bleeding. Any kind of stress, sickness, weight changes, ingestion of birth control pills or antidepressants , alterations in sleep or diet - all could lead to erratic bleeding. Cysts in the ovaries too are a common cause. Pelvic infections do not cause overt bleeding the way you describe, unless there is a visible growth or erosion on the cervix / infection within the uterus ( endometritis ) . As you can see, the list of possibilities is quite long. If you could provide some more clues ( past pattern of menstrual bleeding, timing of bleeding with intercourse, dates and patterns of the erratic bleeding ) then I can try and be more specific. I would recommend a gynaecological consultation - thorough XXXXXXX check up ( per vaginum and per speculum ). A pelvic ultrasound is a must. Thyroid hormone measurements should be done. If the ultrasound points to a particular condition, further testing can be accordingly advised. All the best Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Have digestive problems and bleeding. Could it be an infection? 14 minutes later
My menstral cycles are usually every 28 days for 5-7days. I spot for a couple days before my period and I usually have bleeding when I ovulate but only for a day. I have been exercizing and I just had a tooth pulled 3 weeks ago. The area is alao still bugging me. This is the first time this has happened to me. I am sexually active but with one partener for over a year. We do not use protection so pregnancy could be possible. This is making my abdominal area have discomfort and sometimes I get chest pains. The bleeding I have had for the last 5 days is light and its anywhere from pink with spots of red to pinkish orange and even like the end of my period. I know I am all over the place but I am just concerned about my health.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: WORKUP SUGGESTED. Detailed Answer: Hi again. With regular cycles every time, this needs looking into. It could be plain due to recent stress / surgery ( a tooth pulling out certainly qualifies ! ) or due to the recent exercise, if there has been any unaccustomed exercise. How about ruling out pregnancy first ( a home pregnancy test , although a miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy might not always be picked up without a blood HCG test / ultrasound ). The workup suggested above should be done anyhow, to be on the safer side. WHile you schedule your appointment, have a pregnancy test taken. Take care