Ask a Urologist   »  

Have difficulty passing urine. Suffering from lower back pain. Could both be related?

I have difficulty in passing urine in the morning when I wake up.( I don't wake up during the night to go to the bathroom) having emptied my bladder, albeit with difficulty, it seems to revert back to normal after that.
I have been suffering from lower back pain for a while, seen a chiropractor who fixed it recently, although in the morning it is still pretty stiff. Could it be related? Bearing in mind this difficulty occured suddenly about 5 days ago, reverted back to normal 3 days ago, and started again yesterday. .
Thank you for your help
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may be related to the prostate

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It could either be related to early enlargement of the prostate or may indicate that the nerve supply to the bladder has been affected by whatever condition is causing the back pain.

In terms of the prostate, enlargement of the prostate is common as men age, in the vast majority of cases it is benign (non cancerous).
It can present with a variety of symptoms including hesitancy which is difficulty initiating urinary flow.

In the initial stage of enlargement, the symptoms may not be consistent.

You may want to consider a blood test for PSA and physical examination of the prostate by your doctor.

As it relates to the back, if the spine has affected the nerve supply to the bladder it can cause urinary symptoms.

In that case there may be other neurological symptoms such as numbness, bowel changes.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any additional questions