Have diarrhea, weight loss and increased body temperature. Had unprotected sex. AIDS?

For the last couple of weeks I have had diarrhea, weight loss and increased body temperature. I had unprotected sex on April 11. Both she and I were tested for HIV in January and were clean, so it's unlikely that's the cause, though I will get test for HIV on Monday. The symptoms have been going on for about 2 weeks. My sexual partner is also experiencing the same symptoms. What do you think it could be?
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Since you and your partner,both are having same symptoms of diarrhoea and fever,the chances of bacterial infection or parasitic infections are very high.
Such type of infections occur due to consumption of contaminated food or water.
Bacterial infections could be salmonella,shigella,E.coli,campylobacter etc
While parasitic infections could be due to giardia or entamoeba histolytica.
The chances of parasitic infection become more if you have travelled to some developing country or any place outside USA.
Ideally you should get your stool tested for the presence of micro organism and then take treatment accordingly.
In the mean time take plenty of oral fluids to avoid dehydration and may take Tylenol for fever.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck