Have diarrhea and noticed mucus in it. Family history of colon cancer. Worrisome

Gastroenterologist
Question

For the past couple of hours I've had diarrhea and there is mucous in it. Some weeks back I also noticed a small amount of mucous after I used the bathroom. I'm 35 and feel healthy. I'm worried it's serious. Please advise... Some sites say it's normal for a short time and others say it's a warning sign.... Some members of my family have experienced colon cancer, but they were in their sixties.

Many thanks,
XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 39 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Mucus diarrhea indicates colitis. There are many causes of colitis like infectious colitis, inflammatory bowel disease etc.
A stool test may be done to rule out infection.

If the mucus diarrhea is persistent or recurrent, colonoscopy may be done for evaluation.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have diarrhea and noticed mucus in it. Family history of colon cancer. Worrisome 22 minutes later
Thank you for your response. Is it likely I have colitis? Could it be something more serious like a pancreatic issue or cancer? Also, is it normal to have
mucus when one has diarrhoea? I will see my gp next week.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 36 minutes later
Hi.
It is unlikely to be pancreatic issue or cancer. Pancreatic issues cause fatty diarrhea which will be bulky, pale, foul smelling and which float in toilet pan and difficult to flush.
Diarrhea due to involvement of colon will have mucus in it.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have diarrhea and noticed mucus in it. Family history of colon cancer. Worrisome 25 minutes later
Thank you very much. Final question - is it quite common and likely for this condition to just clear itself up without any medical attention?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
With probiotics and yogurt, it may resolve.
If it does not resolve, stool test and colonoscopy may be done to find the cause and treat accordingly.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini