Have diarrhea. Noticed mucus and blood in stools. Have cramping. What can this be?

General Surgeon
I just had a long, mucous like thing come out of my bottom with diarrhea and cramping. I looked like spaghetti and was more than one foot long. I actually pulled it out. There was some blood, mucous and stool. What in the hell was that??? I don't eat meat.
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
These symptoms suggest infection of large bowel

Detailed Answer:

Diarrhea, cramping abdominal pain,bloody stool with mucus are due to infection of large bowel by bacteria,parasite or both.

It occurs with ingestion of contaminated food or water.
Eventhough you don't eat meat,these symptoms may occur.
The contamination can be present in any variety of the food or water.

I prescribe antibiotic Rifaximine,Metronidazole tablets and Pre and Probiotic capsule to my patients with similar complaints.

Please consult your doctor and rule out relpase of Inflammatory bowel disease.

Hope, I answered your query.

If you have any questions, I will clarify further.

Wish you speedy recovery.