Have diarrhea. History of Spina bifida. Cure?

I am a person with spina bifida and I've had diarrhea for the last few days how can I get rid of it?
Posted Tue, 12 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Diarrhea is usually brought on by gastrointestinal (GI) infections caused by viruses, bacteria, or parasites. Most likely it is viral diarrhea.
The main motive of treatment is prevention of dehydration. Taking special fluids by mouth (oral rehydration therapy) is the most effective way of doing this.
Very often infection is due to Rotavirus which normally clears up on its own.

1. You can start by eating soft, bland food: toast, bananas, crackers, plain rice, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, baked chicken ~ no skin, etc.
2.Replace lost fluid and salts:Take broth, soup, fruit juices, soft fruits, or vegetables.
3.Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to warm tea or water as long as symptoms persist, Raw fruits and vegetables, fried & greasy food and fast food, spicy food, caffeine,etc.

Get your stool examined and if it indicates infection or you are not better in two days, see your doctor for a course of antibiotics. You can meanwhile take Lomotil twice a day along with the diet I have suggested.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Have diarrhea. History of Spina bifida. Cure? 12 minutes later
Could it be related to my spina bifida I am paralysed from the waist down and do not have bowel or bladder control?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Having spina bifida and no bladder and bowel control might be associated with frequent stools but the consistency of stools should not be watery. In case the consistency of stools is loose then it is likely to be due to a gut infection.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.