Have diabetes, arthritis, fibromyalgia and asthma. Suspected to have lungs and spleen problem. Worrisome

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I have for the last 3 weeks going to acupuncturist and he has told me I have problems with my lungs, kidney and spleen. Should I be concerned, I was surprised when he told me this. I am female 62 with diabetes, arthritis, sciatica, fibromyalgia & asthma
Posted Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 29 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

It is difficult to point out to specific problems in certain organs, without a proper medical evaluation - which includes a thorough clinical examination and relevant lab investigations, as per necessity. Problems with XXXXXXX organs like the kidney, lung, etc. will be manifested with specific symptoms and signs pertaining to that system or will show abnormalities when relevant investigations are carried out. So, in the absence of specific signs / symptoms and without a proper evaluation, it is difficult to say that there would be specific problems with certain XXXXXXX organs.

Now, you have mentioned that you have multiple medical problems - like diabetes, asthma, etc. Some of these medical conditions can affect certain XXXXXXX organs. For example, asthma is a problem with the airways in the lungs; diabetes is a condition which can affect multiple organ systems like eyes, kidneys, nerves, etc. Especially, people with diabetes are advised to have periodic screening tests to detect any systemic complications. So, if you are experiencing any symptoms, or have not been checked for a while, then it is better to have a proper check-up with your doctor.

However, I don't think you should be too worried about any serious problem, unless you are experiencing specific symptoms or your investigations so far have revealed any major abnormality. Please continue to take regular treatment as prescribed to you, and go for periodic follow-ups. Eat a healthy and balanced diet, exercise regularly, and try to avoid stress as much as possible.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen