Have diabetes. Taking controlled diet. Reports showed high sugar levels. Suggest some ayurvedic medicine?

Ayurveda Specialist
Question
my husband has diabetes from 15 years. He takes only karela,jamun,methi XXXXXXX gurmaar leaves amla,bel leaves. He is very active,does exercises,walk and gardening for more than 3 hours a day. Still his recent reports shows his fasting sugar 237 and HBA1C is 11.5.Weight is 54kg height is 5 feet 8 inch. He never eats sweets and fried food.Please tell me the correct ayurvedic medicine.
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Ayurveda

Answered by Dr. Nikul Patel 2 hours later

Your history suggests that your husband is a diabetic from past 15 years and he is taking all bitter things (which you have described) and still now, it is not in controlling stage.

In addition, he is not taking sugar and he is very active. It is great thing but he need to change the remedies for controlling sugar level.

Please start these medications and advise to check PPBS and FBS every 15 days.

1. Chandraprabha vati 2 tabs twice a day

2. Tab. Diabecon (Himalaya) 2 tabs twice a day

3. Rasayan churna 1 gram twice a day

4. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXX ras 1 tab twice a day with honey

Avoid curd and sleep while day time.

Yoga and pranayam also can continue.

Do not need to take the herbs, which you are taking right now.

Hope this helps. Please do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Follow-up: Have diabetes. Taking controlled diet. Reports showed high sugar levels. Suggest some ayurvedic medicine? 17 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Could you please tell me the kind of diet to be followed by him. He is a pure vegetarian.
Also, please clarify if medicines have to be taken before or after meals. What time should the medicines be given?

And about the curd, should he never consume curd? or it is just during the day?

Answered by Dr. Nikul Patel 27 minutes later
Hello and thanks again,

As per your follow up query, my answers are:

1. As far as the diet precaution in diabetes are concerned, he should not intake sugar and sugar based food like fruits (in small quantity he can take), potato, sweet potato etc.

2. He can take amla and turmeric juice in its season.

3. He can take medicines any time after meal or before meal. Food has no relation with the medications but it should be taken in particular time frame as per the comfort of the patient.

4. He should not consume curd till the sugar level comes to normal level. When it shows normal level then he can take in small quantity. Butter-milk is allowed.

Hope this answers your query.

Dr. Nikul Patel
Ayurveda Consultant

Follow-up: Have diabetes. Taking controlled diet. Reports showed high sugar levels. Suggest some ayurvedic medicine? 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply doctor. I just wanted to ask one more thing.

1. Could you please suggest what kind of grains should be given to him?

2. It has always happened that his sugar fasting is very high and post prandial sugar is not so high. So can you please suggest a diet plan for him? Like if we should give him roti subzi in dinner or something light like daliya, oats etc.

1. You can give him grains as wheat, Bajra, Jowar, Moong, Rava, Suji. Tooar dal, chana, sattu, etc.

2. Yes, you can give him roti sabji, daliya, oat not a problem with that.

3. After such dosages of prescribed medicines it will work fantastic.

Dr. Nikul Patel
Ayurveda Consultant