Have diabetes. Take Lantus, atenolol and Insulin. Feel tired, feel sleepy after meals. Suggest pills for energy?

I am 56 have type two diabetes take lantus 46 units, Humalog insulin 12 units, 50mg atenolol for high blood preasure. my question is I feel alwaws tired have no energy and after meals I seem to fall asleep dispite attempts to stay awake. what is causing this to happen and is there a pill or shot that would make me more alert and have energy to do things. oh my weight is 375 pounds. help
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief need to be investigated for it.
Detailed answer...

I have read your query thoroughly and I feel that thete can be various causes for your day time fatigue and excessive sleepiness. Although the most important cause for such symptoms is uncontrolled diabetes, but there can be various other reasons responsible for these symptoms,like...
1. Sleep disorders like snoring and obstructive sleep apnoea (it happens much more in obese and overweight people); Other sleep disorders like insomnia and narcolepsy; Sleeping late and working late on your computers.
2. Other medical reasons like under active thyroid (hypothyroidism); anaemia; restless leg syndrome; diabetic neuropathy.
3. Lack of VIT D and VIT B12

I would definitely like to conduct some tests on you to exclude the above mentioned conditions. Your general physician will know about the tests.

Until you get the test results, I suggest you to adopt some of the below general measures:
Sleeping early and at fixed time daily.
Removing all gadgets like computers,mobiles,video games from your bed room
Avoiding excessive alcohol
Avoiding sleeping pills
Reducing your weight by diet control and doing regular exercise.
Doing deep breathing exercises and mental relaxation exercises to take care of any depression and anxiety.

I hope it helps; however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck