Have diabetes. Blood test shows high sugar levels. Taking Amaryl, Galvus, Insulin

My Father is 66 Years old and is a diabetic for last 22 yrs.
Recently his sugar is always coming high and thus worrying us very much.
The test results are as follows:
Fasting : 105 avg; PP : 161 Avg.
HB1AC (Aug'13) : 8.3 ; HB1AC (DEC'12) : 8.2.
The medicines he takes are as follows :
please suggest,

Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 23 hours later
Dear Sir

I review your case. The current medications consist of several groups of drugs such as metformin, glimeperide, and gliptins. It also includes glargine insulin which helps in maintaining basal insulin levels. So overall your treatment looks good.

However I see your post prandial sugars are high while fasting blood sugars are normal. Since persistently raised post Prandial levels of sugars can increase Hba1c, I would suggest the use of prandial regulators. Usually Prandial regulators will reduce hba1c by 0.8 to 1.0 percent.

Discuss with your treating doctor. I think you will benefit by adding "Prandial Regulators" such as acarbose, miglitol or voglibose with appropriate dosages to your list of medication. I hope you are strictly adhering to diabetic diet as well as exercise - those are must.

Hope this information is helpful for you. Let me know if you need clarification.