Have deviated nasal septum and feeling difficulty while breathing. Any suggestions?

Dear Sir
I have deviated nasal septum.
What is the alternative, I had general anxiety attacks longback i.e. 2011, but now i feel difficulty while breathing. I have also done CT Scan, I do not have sinusitis. Problem is with deviated nasal.

I already had septoplasty in 2010, and local ansthe had been given and was unsuccessful
I do not want to undergo septoplasty again. Please advice.
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 45 minutes later

Deviated nasal septum is a very common occurrence among people. Why are you concerned now? Is it the cosmetic appearance or do you have any other symptoms associated? Are you just anxious about it?

Only that most of them go unnoticed. In people who have marked deviation, the symptoms are prominent. Unfortunately surgery is the only option available for a person who has severe difficulties. Since you do not report any symptoms you should learn to shift your thoughts about such deviation. You should first get treated completely and holistically for general anxiety. A team of Psychiatrist and counselors would certainly help you overcome this issue. You need Cognitive behavioural therapy from the counselor.

Along with this the following would be my personal recommendations.

1.     Regular exercise: It improves your immunity.
2.     Certain Yoga exercise: Pranayama techniques helps in keeping the airway clean.
3.     Steam inhalation: It helps in keeping the airway moisturized, thus preventing dryness and bleeding of the nasal mucosa. It also helps in decongestion.
4.     Avoid drinking cold water.
5.     Avoid dust and smoke which can irritate your nostrils.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you.

Thank you.