Have developed a small white patch near hair line on face. What can it be?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have developed a small white patch near my hair line on my face. What can it be?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

A white patch may be seen in different disorders like most commonly fungal infection, vitamin deficiency, dryness, seborrhic dermatitis or leprosy. If its totally white i.e depigmented like peeled or burnt skin then there is a possibility of it being vitiligo.

Any skin lesion needs to be clinically examined by a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis.
The dermatologist may check for decreased sensations (leprosy), scaling ( fungal or dermatitis)
Or conduct tests like woods lamp examination or skin biopsy.

In most cases the diagnosis is clinical i.e just by showing your lesion to a skin specialist you might get your illness diagnosed and appropriate treatment started.

So I would advise you visit your doctor as soon as feasible.

In any case there is no use delaying, or self medicating as in some cases like in fungal infection the lesion may spread or recur.

Hope I have answered your query. Please write back if you have any doubts.