Have desire to have sex but do not get erection. What could it be?

Dec 2012

Yes I,m 52 years old and even doe I have the desire to have sex with my wife I don't get the erection I need to perform also the last time that we had sex, I had muscle contraction and lost the erection, what is your answer to that?
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Erectile Dysfunction
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: obviously suffering from a erectile dysfunction Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX I understand you are interested in knowing about your erectile dysfunction precisely what caused it and how to remedy that so that you can perform properly with your wife. I am going to provide you some information. Erectile problems usually do not affect a man's sex drive or libido. It is often common in adult men and most men at one point in time may suffer from a erectile problems which can go away with little or no treatment. If you have trouble getting or keeping an erection more than 25% of the time, it is a problem. Erectile problem that can not go away can cause a lot of problems in your social life especially with your partner and so needs to be treated. An erection involves your brain, nerves, hormones, and blood vessels. Anything that interferes with these normal functions can lead to problems getting an erection.They are many causes of a erectile dysfunction and your doctor will need to consider ruling each one. Since I noticed that you do not have a known chronic medical condition, I will spare you the lecture but I will advise that you get screened for diabetes, high blood pressure, prostate disorder, thyroid diseases etc. If you are on any medications, then those have to be checked. Your overall mental and physical state need to be evaluated equally. Some blood tests especially evaluating testosterone levels need to be done. Low testosterone levels can lead to erectile problems. At home, you can start treating yourself through the following home care methods. Lifestyle changes can help: - Cut down on smoking, alcohol, and illegal drug use (i.e if you are using of these). - Get plenty of rest and take time to relax i.e if you often overwork yourself and do not provide sometime to get a good rest before indulging into sex. It helps. - Exercise and eat a healthy diet to keep good blood circulation. - Talk openly to your partner about sex and your relationship. If you cannot do this, counseling can help. Talk to a doctor at his/her consultation office if any of these do not help. Use of viagra should be the last alternative and could the last resort if every other thing fails. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah