Have dermographis, allergic to wheat, lemon, tomato, dust mites; rahes and itching. Please help.

Hi, I am suffering from a skin disease called as dermographism/urticaria/skin writing. I got my allergy test done and have been diagnosed with allegry from wheat, lemon, tomato, housedustmite.. etc.. these are the things which is almost impossible for an Indian to avoid. And there is no one pattern for this problem.. its almost everyday.. i am tired of itching and getting these rashes.. Though these rashes go away in just 10-15 mins.. but its a huge pain.. Plz help
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later

Allergic problems like dermographism are easier to prevent than to treat. There is no permanent solution to the problem. Avoiding exposure to the allergens is the most important thing.

Other factors which can help you if you cannot avoid the exposure is taking anti allergic and anti inflammatory medicines like fexofenadine and montelukast along with occasional dose of oral steroids to control the acute attacks.

You can get these drugs prescribed from your dermatologist after his consultation.

Avoid wearing tight clothes and warm baths.Wear cotton clothes.

You can also apply 1% hydrocortisone cream locally, lactocalamine lotion on the itchy areas for symptomatic relief.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Follow-up: Have dermographis, allergic to wheat, lemon, tomato, dust mites; rahes and itching. Please help. 1 hour later
I was on Anti-histamines (Allegra and one more medicine i forgot the name).. for around an year... but tafter some time these medicines also stop functioning...

And avoiding the allergens from the diet is very difficult .. as things like Wheat, lemon and tomato are the staple diet we take..

I tried avoiding all this for around a month.. no doubt .. i was better... but its kind of difficult to completely remove this things from ur diet.. In addition .. things like housedustmite, parlecium grass... these things i dont realise when i come in contact with..

I have been told that there are few medicines which are injected in the body for the specific items u r allergic with.. how effective is this treatment??
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.

The injections are like immunization and they are not available for all the allergens. Their efficacy is not well proven in all the cases.

You can switch over to south indian diet which is mainly rice based and try to remain in an air conditioned cool environment to avoid these allergens.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.