Have dermatitis in glans penis following circumcision.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have dermatitis glans penis following circumcision 4 months ago I am aged 67 years
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

After circumcision, since the glans penis becomes exposed to the external environment, there are many causes of dermatitis in such a case. It can be caused by excessive dryness due to soap or other toiletries, allergic in nature or due to constant friction by rubbing against the clothing. Sometimes superadded infection makes it difficult to heal.

You can help the improvement by
* Avoid scrubbing your skin.
* Use as little soap as possible. Use gentle cleansers instead.
* Avoid applying any lotions or ointments directly on the rash.
* Use warm (not hot) water for cleaning. XXXXXXX dry, don't rub.
* Hydrocortisone cream (1%) may soothe your rashes. You can get it prescribed from your dermatologist.

In the meantime, I recommend you to use general cleanliness measures to avoid any infection in that area. Avoid scratching or handling the region with barefingers.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.