Have depression and pcos. Getting shoulder pain. Temporary relief after taking diazepam. Any relief?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I have been having moderate left shoulder pain over the past yr, it would come and go but I was not sure what would bring it on. Recently this pain start worsening and spreading down the whole left side of my body from neck,shoulder,under shoulder blade,lower L back and hip. 2 weeks ago my neck/shoulder muscles start going into spasm I couldnt move my head without muscles spasming. I went to a&e, had xray, bloods to test for infection given diazepam and diclofenac which relieved pain. 2 weeks later I am still in alot of pain all down left side and very stiff (still taking pain relief and valium 5mg prn)
I am 23yrs female, with medical hx VUR treated with STING procedure, Appendicectomy, Diagnosis of PCOS and Depression. I am currently on Escitalopram 10mg. I have injured ligaments in both my knees age 11/12, and fractured R arm age 10. My knees, lower back and neck often"click". Ive been to gp and she take a while to heal.. Im in pain and don't know what to do
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The pain in the left shoulder radiating to the back and neck with muscle spasms is likely to be related to cervical spondylosis.
It is suggestive of a vertebral level due to degenerative disc changes or cervical spondylosis. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine. Past neck injury may also contribute to the degeneration.

X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.

Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.

As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications (if over the counter medications are not helpful).
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have depression and pcos. Getting shoulder pain. Temporary relief after taking diazepam. Any relief? 2 days later
Thank you for answering my query.
I had an MRI spine cervical completed. T1 and T2 sequences were performed in sagittal sections and T2 in axial sequences. Marked scoliosis concave to the right was noted. No other abnormalities were noted.
My GP has now referred me to an orthopaedic consultant.

Thank you for your help,
If you have any other suggestions I would be happy to hear.

Kindest Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The scoliosis could be responsible for the symptoms that you are having.
Cervical isometric exercises under the guidance of a physiotherapist will help in decreasing the symptoms.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.