Have depression. Prescribed omega-3 supplements. Why was no blood test done to check for deficiency?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi why is it not necessary to check omega-3 levels when a deficiency is suspected? I've depression and my doctor suspects that i'm low in omega-3's so he told me to take omega-3 supplements 3 times daily but when i asked him to check my blood for it so that we know that i'm taking the right dose he said he doesn't even know how to check it. i know it can tested through blood but why do physicians not look for it? how long do i have to take it inorder to see results. i'm not taking antidepressants i'm against them. I've tried many antidepressants and they had many side effects and i'm scarred of trying another antidepressant. how can i ensure that my omega-3's are at perfect levels? thanks bye
sorry correction, how long do i have to WAIT till i see results after starting to take omega-3 supplements not TAKE?
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 2 hours later
Hello......
Thanks for your query. I agree with you that the level of omega-3 fatty acids in the name of omega index can be calculated with blood levels. However, it is not required in depression considering it has no diagnostic or prognostic value. In other words depression can neither be diagnosed nor management planned solely on basis of these levels. Further to clarify, omega-3 FA is not a single therapy for depression but only an augmenting agent for antidepressants. Hence it might require 6-8 weeks to show response. Wish you good health. Do clarify further if required.
Dr Sundar
Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Have depression. Prescribed omega-3 supplements. Why was no blood test done to check for deficiency? 11 hours later
what if someone has depression but they can't take antidepressants? I can't because I tried many and they didn't work for me and i'm not willing to try another antidepressants. maybe I didn't have good psychiatrists. been through 3 psychiatrists and none of them worked for me and i'm tired. i'm not willing to try another psychiatrist after what I went through cause of seeing them. I just started seeing a naturopath but I've seen her once only so far so I don't know if she'll work for me or not. thanks bye

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 17 minutes later
Hello.......
The alternative to antidepressants would be psychotherapy techniques like cognitive behavioural therapy. Augmentation strategies to antidepressants like omege-3 fatty acids, thyroxine, lithium and antipsychotics is the other option. rTMS is a safe alternative free of major side effects. Please do not lose hope. Arriving at a right combination is sometimes time consuming in depressive disorder.
Dr Sundar

Follow-up: Have depression. Prescribed omega-3 supplements. Why was no blood test done to check for deficiency? 13 hours later
I'll not see a psychiatrist anymore. they were rude to me. and the drugs they put me on didn't work. maybe I didn't have good doctors but i'll go down the natural way from now. finding a good psychiatrist is very hard.

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 9 hours later
Hello.........
I understand you have been unfortunate in not meeting a psychiatrist who could empathise with you. Neverthless i would sincerely advise you to give a last try so that the suggestions i gave you can be discussed about. Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar