Have depression. Do not take medication. How can I improve my sleep?

Hi. I've depression and trying to treat it wiithout medication. I'm trying to improve my sleep and wonder what I should put in my bedroom besides my bed to help me sleep better? For example I know I shouldn't put my computer in my bedroom. Apparently no one should. Anyways what should I and should I not put in my bedroom to improve my sleep? Thanks bye.
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in to us.

Its great to know that you want to modify your surrounding environment to keep you away from depressive symptoms and that you have found a need to improve your sleep hygiene.

Some more changes you may make to your bedroom/ sleep habit may include the following:

1. Allowing enough sunlight into your bedroom in the morning such that you balance natural light with artificial light as and when needed..
2. Make the wall colors soothing to your eyes, like bluish shades.
3. You could put few (1 or 2) happy posters on your wall.
4. Maintain regular hours of sleep and wake cycle.
5. If you are hungry, have a light snack before bedtime. Do not have tea, coffee, in the evenings. Do not use alcohol or smoke if unable to sleep.
6. Maintain a regular exercise regimen.
7. Do not use the bed for anything other than sleeping. E.g. watching tv, reading a book, eating, exercising, talk on the phone etc.
8. Do not take naps during the day.
9. Do not eat heavy before bedtime to help you sleep.
10. Listen to calm music for a while if you feel busy thoughts running in your mind.