Have dengue fever. Platelet count is 2,0000. Is it normal?

Sep 2012

I had dengue fever 1 month back, that time platelet count went down to 1 lakh, later came back to 3,75,000. I had a blodd test today and the count is 2,0000 now. Is it normal? I feel so tired for a few days now. Will it be something related to this? pls advice me.
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
First of all, the platelet count you told is quite normal ( normal for age and sex is 280+/- 130 X1000/ml as per Dacie and XXXXXXX 10th edition).
In recent days, dengue has changed its natural history, it recurs easily.
So, you have to be cautious. If it recurs it may be an alarming condition.
You just repeat the test from a referral laboratory after 3-4 days. I suggest there is no need for medicines. Just take good diet including fresh fruits and if possible some multivitamin and lots of water.
Let me know other concerns.