Have delayed pregnancy, feel period like pain. HPT negative and blood test showed 0.08 HCG, bulky uterus. Advise?

Question
hie i missed my periods which where supposed to begin 28 may but till now 15 XXXXXXX i just feel period like pain and no periods did 3 hpt all came negative the blood test ha 0.08 HCG which l dont know what it means thne doctor said l have a bulky uterus can you explain to me what this may mean am i pregnant or fibroids
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 31 minutes later

If you have been regular (28-30 day cycles) with your periods and if you have been sexually active without any contraception, then you should have had a positive pregnancy test by now if you had conceived.

The serum beta-hCG titre is a better predictor of the diagnosis and the outcome, and serial titres are advised when the diagnosis is in doubt. Low titres suggest either wrong dates, blighted ovum or ectopic pregnancy.

I would ask you to repeat the sonogram after a few days preferably in the trans-vaginal route with an experienced sonologist along with serial serum beta-hCG titres after excluding an ectopic pregnancy.

The titre should be at least 1000 mIU/ml by now and should double every 48 hours. Even with low titres, doubling indicates good prognosis for the pregnancy. The sonogram should show a gestation sac, fetal pole and a fetal heart if resolution is good.

Fibroids do not cause missed periods and they are usually visible in a trans-vaginal sonogram. Most often, they are asymptomatic, otherwise they may cause pain, infertility or heavy bleeding.

Hope I have clarified your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Have delayed pregnancy, feel period like pain. HPT negative and blood test showed 0.08 HCG, bulky uterus. Advise? 2 hours later
oky so are u suggesting l go for the sonogram

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 46 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Since you have an inconclusive blood test and an ultrasound finding, in order to confirm or exclude pregnancy, you would need serial serum beta-hCG titres on alternate days along with serial trans-vaginal sonograms until the diagnosis is clear and further action can be taken. Please discuss with your consultant before you proceed further.

Hope I have clarified your doubt. Please get back if you need any more clarifications. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.