Have delayed periods, pregnancy test negative. Had food poisoning during ovulation, took allegra. Related?

Hi doctor, my periods are delayed by 6 days, it was regular till now with 28 days cycle. Tested for pregnancy yesterday and it was negative. Only had protected sex. I had a food poison during the time of ovulation and had medicine (allegra) with injuction(avil)
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I don't think you are pregnant...

Detailed Answer:

Though periods are regularly, menstruation rhythm go haywire in more than one occasion in all women. The cause for this disturbances need not be probed / treated unless the episode doesn't recur subsequently and if pregnancy is ruled out.

Home pregnancy test is more than reliable means to rule out pregnancy. The results are very accurate when the test is performed 3-5 days after expected date of period. Therefore I am convinced that you are not pregnant.

I suggest you to wait for a few days more, say for another 3-4 days. Periods should commence within this period of time. Should you continue to miss period for more than 2 weeks, I would recommend you to start pills to induce periods, off course after you are evaluated by your gynecologist.

Be assured; sleep and rest well; drink lots of fluids and eat healthy. You will be alright very soon.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Have delayed periods, pregnancy test negative. Had food poisoning during ovulation, took allegra. Related? 8 minutes later
Can the delay is due to food poisoning and related medication? Medical prescription for the medicines and injuction
I had is attached.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be...

Detailed Answer:

Exact reasons for delayed period is most often not known. However infection, stress and drugs are known to affect menstrual hormones and thus disturb normal periods. So yes, the food poisoning and medication may be the cause.

We can probe you (by blood tests and scans) only if periods are absent for more than 2 weeks or if such irregularities are very frequent.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.