Have delayed periods, HPT negative. Underlying cause?

my period was due on this month 6th , but i dint get it till date . I have checked with home kit which gave me a negative result .
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
ultrasound scan would be helpful

Detailed Answer:

I see that you were due for your periods this month on 6th. However, you have not got it till date.

The home test gave you a negative result.

It is unlikely that you are pregnant. It is possible that the problem of irregular periods has come up again.

It would be wise to get an ultrasound scan of the uterus and ovaries done to look for underlying polycystic ovaries. We can even rule out pregnancy by a scan. Hence, this would be ideal now to proceed with the further management of your problem.

Please discuss with your gynecologist about the same.

Follow-up: Have delayed periods, HPT negative. Underlying cause? 7 minutes later
i forgot to mention that i had spotting for 2 days just 4-5 days before my period's date there any chance ?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
chances of pregnancy unlikely

Detailed Answer:

You have had spotting for 2 days. However, your home test is negative. Also, the home test is not a fully reliable test.

In either ways, I suggest you get an ultrasound scan done as suggested.

Wish you good health.