Have delayed period and HPT negative. What else is it?

Its been 4 days of my missed period and home pregnancy test shows negative. Can I still be pregnant and if can I avoid it now
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Prasad 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy is unlikely....

Detailed Answer:

Home pregnancy test is accurate in predicting pregnancy when the test is performed after the expected date of period. If the test is performed as per instruction and the result is read correctly then the chances of pregnancy is unlikely. I personally inform my patients that chance of pregnancy is zero in such cases.

However some doctors suggest repeating the test 3-4 days later using early morning urine samples to confirm the first results. If you strongly suspect that you are pregnant, please wait for couple of days more and repeat the test on the third day. Alternatively you can get your blood hCG levels checked at a laboratory to rule out pregnancy.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification.

Follow-up: Have delayed period and HPT negative. What else is it? 28 minutes later

i have taken two mensovit tablet to get my periods and planing to take 4 more in net two days. will this help to get my periods

and at this stage is there a way to rule out pregnancy by any means if the result is positive after three days
Answered by Dr. Prasad 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would suggest you to wait at this point...

Detailed Answer:

Frankly speaking, Mensovit which seems to be a herbal product is not scientifically proven to induce periods. But anecdotal evidence show that they have helped some women.

If I were to be your treating doctor, I would urge you to wait for a week more. Repeat the test again after couple of days. I am more than 95% that the test would appear negative. You can opt for medical termination using different class of medications only when the result come positive.

At this point of time, be relaxed. Eat a healthy protein XXXXXXX food and drink plenty of fluids.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Have delayed period and HPT negative. What else is it? 7 hours later

can stress be really a reason for period delay
Answered by Dr. Prasad 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Delayed period can happen due numerous reasons. Stress is definitely one of the reason. That's why I said you don't be concerned once you are convinced that it's not pregnancy. The repeat test should convince you; so wait for the next 2-3 days and then we can plan the next steps of treatment.

Hope this is assuring. Feel free to write back of you need to discuss further.
If you have no more questions please close this discussion.