Have delayed menstruation. Getting pain in leg, weakness and frustrated. How to get normal period?

Question
My wife (age-35) is having delayed periods before marriage, now she is mother of 2 and for past few weeks she is too weak and frustrated - may be due to weakness, moreover she also complains about pain in leg muscles very often mostly before sleep. Now it has been almost 10 days from the date of period (1st Feb last period date and next predicted date was 1st March) ..my doubt is ..is it some thing to worry and serious or is it something normal.

What should be done to make periods normal?
How to get relieved from the severe leg pain every night?

Please help.
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 21 minutes later
hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting your query on health care magic.

Can you provide me more information regarding the following? This is important for the diagnosis.
1. Is she using contraceptives?
2. Is she obese?
3. Was her menstrual cycle regular before 1st feb?
4. Do she have any medical illness like thyroid problem?

Waiting for your reply.
regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Have delayed menstruation. Getting pain in leg, weakness and frustrated. How to get normal period? 14 minutes later
Dear Mam,

Thank you doctor for your reply. Below are the details you had asked for.

1. Is she using contraceptives?

She is not taking any pills but yes she is using CopperT for past 1.5 years.

2. Is she obese?

Her weight is 59 kg and height 5.2 (approx).

No, her periods are always irregular.

No there is no such medical illness. But sometimes she said that she had a white discharge.

Awaiting reply.
Thanks,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 hour later
Thank you XXXXXXX for your prompt reply.

Good that she is not suffering from any major medical illness.
Now, let me answer your query one by one.

1. What should be done to make periods normal? Her periods are abnormal because of hormonal imbalance. She needs to take oral contraceptive pills for 3 months to regularize her cycles. I suggest to get an ultrasound to rule out other causes like fibroids before starting oral contraceptive pills.

2. How to get relieved from the severe leg pain every night? Severe leg pain at night is due to calcium deficiency. Vitamin D3 deficiency also causes calcium deficiency. I strongly recommend you to get her Vitamin D3 levels in a nearby pathology lab and get back to me. I will suggest medications.

3. She also needs to start vitamin tablets for her weakness.
She will be perfectly fine once her symptoms are treated. So you need not worry.
Understand her and be sympathetic towards her. Husbands support is very important.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask for further clarifications.
regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Have delayed menstruation. Getting pain in leg, weakness and frustrated. How to get normal period? 1 hour later
Thanks again mam. We both read your suggestions and trust me we have never got such prompt answers before. Feeling relieved , just have need suggestions and confirmation from your end.

> I will definitely get her Ultra scanned , i presume ** Vaginal Ultra sound ** is what you had suggested.

Please confirm. I will send you the details of scanned report once done.

Also, can you prescribe best available oral contraceptive pills which she needs to take for 3 months in order to make her periods normal.

>I presume i need to take her to a pathology lab and just ask them to check ** Vitamin D3 level **, once i have report with me i will send it to you. Please confirm.

>Sure i will get Vitamin tablets from medical shop, is there any particular vitamin tablet suggestions from your side. I mean company , brand etc.

> Thank you mam, thanks a lot for your words of assurance.

Sorry if my doubts sounds idiotic. Just waiting for your suggestions and confirmation.

Thanks Again,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 3 hours later
Its my pleasure XXXXXXX

Following are my suggestions:
1. Transvaginal ultrasound needs to be done. If its normal, then ask your wife to take Loette oral contraceptive pills for 3 months.

2. Yes, ask pathologist to do Vitamin D3 levels. Its a blood test.

3. Take A to Z vitamin tablets. Its good.

Hope this solves your query. Keep me updated about Vitamin D3 levels.
Be happy and keep your wife happy as well.

regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Have delayed menstruation. Getting pain in leg, weakness and frustrated. How to get normal period? 2 days later

> I thought of getting her breast scanned too with Transvaginal ultrasound, someone told me to get scanned after periods. Is it true? Should i wait?

>As per your advise we did Vitamin D3 Level Test, according to the test report following are the details.

Parameter: Serum Vitamin D3 - Vitamin D3 Hydroxy Vitamin D
Observed Value: 29.10 ng/ml

Also,did a routine Sugar and Cholesterol test too, below are details for kind information.

Fasting Blood Sugar : 60mg/dl
Serum Cholesterol: 104mg/dl

Please review the result above suggest name of medicines to get rid off leg pain and live a normal life.

> I asked for Vitamin A to Z but medical shop guy could not understand, is it possible to provide exact names of some medicines.

Finally, she is worried if she will gain weight by taking any medicines. Please advise.

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 15 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Good that you are back with reports.

1. Yes you can get her mammography(breast scan) as well. It needs to be done after periods.
2. Leg pain is due to calcium deficiency. Ash her to take Shelcal HD one tablet daily after food at night.
3. Blood sugar is slightly at a lower level. Kindly retest fasting and post prandial blood sugar after 15 days.
Cholesterol is normal.
4. Multivitamin tablets will not increase her weight. Please reassure her. Infact she will feel more energetic. Ask pharmacist to give any of the multivitamin. Another alternative is Becosules tablet. It has to be taken in the morning, one tablet after food.

Hope this helps.
regards,
Dr Nilofer