Have darker spot on lunula of thumb. Should I be concerned?

I have a darker spot on the lunula of my right thumb. Wondering if I should be concerned?
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bimal Desai 2 hours later

Thanks for query,

As per your description and the picture, the first possibility in absence of injury is you have subungual melanoma which may be asymptomatic but persistent for years to come.

The other possibility is an erythematous nodule on nail bed

The remote possibility is inflammatory or any iatrogenic nail condition.

If you are asymptomatic and the spot does not show any secondary changes, I am not very concerned, but I do suggest that you contact your dermatologist for a specific diagnosis.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Wish you good health