Have darker face than body. Started using demelan . Safe to continue demelan cream?

Dermatologist
Question
My face is very much darker than the rest of the body. I have started using DEMELAN over entire face without prescription. I came to know about this product through internet. I would like to seek advice on whether i should discontinue it or apply only on the specific area on the face. My face is acne prone too.
Posted Sun, 23 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 8 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in .
The condition you are suffering from is called photomelanosis.It occurs due to excessive sun exposure or sensitivity to sunlight.
You can use demelan cream for it.Apply it at night time .during day time you should use good sunscreen like melagard 50 lotion during day time.sunscreen should be applied daily.starting at 9 in morning every 3 hours till 6in evening.
Some clinic based procedures like chemical peeling will also help you a lot.
Some oral medications like tab limcee and capsule oxytard one daily will be helpful.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.

Dr Sudarshan
Md dermatologist

Follow-up: Have darker face than body. Started using demelan . Safe to continue demelan cream? 15 hours later
Thank you very much sir...........
I use demelan every day on entire face but it causes itching. I also got tiny whiteheads on my forehead(may not be related to demelan). I would like to have fair facial skin(matches to my body color) at the same time i would like to get rid of acne.

Oily sunscreen may not suit my acne pron screen.

I searched on internet about chemical peel. I found articles on peels like glycolic acid, TCA, Retinoic acid etc. Are they available for home use?

May I upload my facial pictures for exact idea?

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 15 hours later
Hi again XXXXXXX

You can use non oily sunscreen like neutrogena SPF 50 dry touch or Photoban aqua gel 30 .It will be helpful for you and will prevent darkening and will not cause acne.

Chemical peel is the most effective and best method for tanning and acne.
Peels like salicylic mandelic combination or glycolic acid are very good for acne and pigmentation.These are usually done at skin clinics.Low concentration glycolic can be used at home available as Glyco A 12% lotion to be applied everynight.

You can upload photos for better understanding of your problem.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have darker face than body. Started using demelan . Safe to continue demelan cream? 2 days later
THANK YOU VERY MUCH SIR
I HAVE UPLOADED FEW IMAGES OF MY FACE.
I HAVE GOT CLUSTER OF TINY PIMPLES ON FOREHEAD AND BOTH THE CHICK.
I THINK, IT MAY BE A SIDEEFFECT OF DEMELAN CREAM.

SHOULD I DISCONTINUE DEMELAN?

YOU MAY SEE IN IMAGES ACNE, FINE LINES, BLACKHEADS etc.

WOULD YOU SUGGEST SOMETHING THAT TREAT ACNE/PIMPLES/BLACKHEADS, FINELINES/WRINKLES AND PHOTOMELENOSIS?

MY SKIN IS HIGHLY SNSISTIVE AND HIGH ACNE PRONE.

HOW MUCH WOULD BE THE COST OF GLYCOLIC PEEL CLINICAL TREATMENT ?

THANK YOU.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 19 hours later
Hi again,
Ive gone through the images.
You have got acne and photo melanosis.
Chemical peeling with glycolic acid and salymandelic acid would be ideal for you.5 -7 sitiings would be required.
Cost varies from 1 to 2.5 thousand per sitting .
Also for home based treatment you can apply Glyco A 12 % cream every night.and use good quality sunscreen like photoban aqua gel which is suitable for your skin.

Hope this helps.
Regards.