Have dark spots on the head of penis. Was treated with cortisone cream. What is the permanent cure?

General Surgeon
Hello- I'm a 59 year old man and within the past month I have noticed several small slightly dark spots on the head of my penis. Quite some years ago I had what my dermatologist identified what he called contact dermatitis also on the same area. It was successfully treated with a prescription cortisone cream. It looked like that's what this at first. I used an over the counter cortisone to treat the first spot and it went away. Now I don't know if I'm just getting over concerned...these "newer" spots are not raised and they are only slightly darker than the normal color of my skin in that area. It's almost as if it is just a darkening of the pigmentation. I have MANY moles on my torso and at my temples. I have been getting those frozen off for years. Can the discoloration on the penis be age spots or do you recommend I see my doctor?
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer: There is no reason for worrying Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear XXXXXXX From the description given by you, the spots are most likely to be patches due to pigmentation which most commonly occurs due to chronic irritation by Smegma. There is no cause of concern as the lesion is flat and not associated with any other symptoms like itching or congestion. If you are not circumscribed, I would suggest you to maintain good hygiene which includes retraction of skin of glans that is prepuce and washing it thoroughly with plain water twice a day. I hope I have cleared your doubt, in case you have any further query you can get back to me with a clinical photo. Wishing you a healthy life. Take care Regards Dr Deepak Kishore Consultant Surgeon