Have dark spots on forehead and cheeks. Prescribed Cosmolite Cream & AHA GLOW face wash. Can HHlite cream be helpful?

Hi, I was having some dark spots on Forehead & on some part of both the cheeks, on consulting Skin specailist, he recommended me Cosmolite Cream & AHA GLOW face wash (course time was 15 days). Once i started using the above combination i was able to notice very good results in initial 4-5 days. After 5th day, the skin on cheeks was getting red & was really irritating. So i discontinued the cream & consulted the doctor on 10th day. The day i stopped using the cream, my skin was getting much more darker than usual. So i consulted the same Dermatologist again for the above reason. Now he has recommended me HHLite cream along with AHA GLOW face wash. Below are my questions related to above Incident:
1.Can you please let me know, will HHlite cream be helpful to recover my skin which is more darker now.? If yes then how much approx time will it take to atleast recover?
2. Assuming my skin will recover will HHlite. Please let me know, will this cream will also be helpful in making the entire skin of one tone (as i mentioned i still have some patches on cheeks).?
Your Reply will be most valuable to me.

-Thanks & Regards,
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later

From the description it seems you have melasma.

Firstly let me uncode the products for you.
HHLITE AND COSMELITE are basically same containing hydroquinone, mometasone and tretinoin. Both of these are pigmentation reducing creams and very commonly used in melasma giving wonderful results.
AHAGLOW is a Glycolic acid face wash which may help in reduction of pigmentation too.

You developed redness with Cosmolite possibly because if its irritant action. Sometimes when these creams are used in large quantities and rubbed too vigorously, it may lead to redness and irritation.

Now to answer your questions specifically:
HHlite will help in reducing pigmentation, however result depends upon depth of pigmentation. if it's superficial pigmentation i.e., light brown in color it might reduce in a month. If it's dark or bluish or graying the time required will be more and response might be variable.
Instead of applying HHlite only over spot, I would advise its use all over face for even tone. However it should not be used without doctor's permission for more than a month.

Now two specific advise from my side
- Use a sunscreen with SPF atleast 30 in morning daily
- Take antioxidant and vitamin c supplement daily like antioxidant HC and Celin.
- Once pigmentation decreases use a milder cream to maintain results like kojivit cream.
- Sometimes with creams results are not desirable, then in that case take few session of Glycolic acid peels can be helpful.

Hope that answered your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Have dark spots on forehead and cheeks. Prescribed Cosmolite Cream & AHA GLOW face wash. Can HHlite cream be helpful? 2 days later
Thanks Dr. Kalpana for your advices. I've some more queries, mentioned below:
1. For how long duration does the HHLite cream can be used. Can it be used for Lifetime.?
2. What if i discontinue using HHLite cream after some time period, will my skin tone be back to my original tone( earlier).? If yes, then can you plz provide me any permanent solution for the same.
3. If kojivit cream is used for maintaining the results, then for how much duration this cream should be continued.?
4. As mentioned by you abt the vitamin c supplement, i would like to tell you that, I've been suggested Celin tablet by my Doctor. Now the problem here is, I've got 15(units) Celin tablet from one of the store, but i'm not able to find this tablet in any store now. So can you please provide me any online stores OR if u can provide me the tablets, I'll pay you for that.
5. After applying HHLite cream also, from last 2-3 days i'm feeling the same kind of irritation as it was with Cosmelite, the only difference is the skin has not got red uptill now. So should i discontinue using this cream? Also tell me the approx quantity & how to apply it on face.? Let me know your suggestions.?
6. I've been recommended "Clearmin" soap too. Does this soap plays any important role in removing/decreasing pigmentation.? If yes, then please let me the time period(i.e how long duration) for this soap too.

Hope to see your reply ASAP.

-Thanks & Regards,
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 14 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
1) HHlite cream or any triple combination cream should not be used over a long period of time without doctor's advise as it may lead to side effects like acne, thinning and dryness of skin, development of thread veins( steroid side effects), redness, irritation, increased sun sensitivity and rebound darkening of face( due to hydroquinone and tretinoin). we usually prescribe its use for a month or two. it should be used in night with mandatory application of sunscreen in morning.
2)these creams actually reduce pigmentation by dispersing melanin, melanocytes or by inhibiting melanin production. So once the use is stopped, the skin tone may come back to normal. However the results obtained in post inflammatory hyperpigmentation like dark spots due to pimples, trauma etc are permanent. As melasma and sun induced damage is recurrent, hence use of sunscreen and a mild kojic acid or glycolic acid or vitamin c or arbutin based cream should be used for maintenance as permanent solution.
3)kojivit cream is safe in long run and can be used daily to maintain results. I would also like to emphasise good results are maintained only if use a good sunscreen too.
4) if celin is not available try for limcee. These are easily available at local pharmacy shops. If not available, you may try amway or guardian pharmacy online shops.
5) these creams may induce irritation. firstly wash your face, let it dry completely and apply these creams prior to sleeping ie after application lights should be switched off. Use minute quantity, apply small dots over face and mildly rub off. The cream should be so less that simply one or two strokes of mild rubbing help the cream assimilate or disappear. Sometimes initially we advise the cream to be used for two to three hours everynight and then to wash it off. this can be done for a week or two and then overnight application can be started. Another option is to use it overnight on alternate days. If having any irritation, withold its use for few days and restart again in manner described above. I usually advise one third cream use of your first skin marking or crease of index finger tip.
6) Clearmin soap contains kojic acid, vitamin c etc and can be used for prolonged period as these are safe and have a role in pigmentation reduction. another similar soap is dermadew lite.

Hope that answered all your queries.
take care