Have dark skin with patches on soles. Worried about melanoma. Suggest?

My 21 year old son has the brown some dark some light patches starting to appear on the soles of his feet! He is extremely health conscious, works out 2 - 3 hours a day. This is worrying me that it's melanoma. I have an appointment with a diabetic podiatrist tomorrow but I'm not sure if that's the right place to start. Yesterday he had two more appear they range in dime size to over a quarter in size.
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
melonoma is rare. want more information

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using XXXXXXX

There are many reasons for patches to occur and one of the rare cause is melanoma. So no need to worry.
The other causes or any infection/ infestation, variation in local blood supply due to underlying vascular pathology or due to wearing tight fitting shoes.

I want to know is there any other symptoms he is suffering like itching or pain around the patch, any swelling or local injury. If present then needs further evaluation.
Is he diabetic? Is there any significant family history or personal history. Yhis will help us to know the probable cause.

You can show your diabetic podiatrist tomorrow but better to show to your board certified physician or to dermatologist. They will be the right person to manage you based on examination.

Hope this has answered your query. Relax now. Based on tomorrow's examination and advice you can ask your son to start treatment. Ask him to wear correct fitting shoes.

Hope thos helped you. Relax now. I will be waiting for your reply.

Wish you good health.