Have dark purple spots on hands and legs. Taking 325 mg. asa. How to cure this?

Sep 2012

I have been having dark purple/red flat and non painful spots coming up on my arms, sometimes hands and legs. I ran out of baby asa (have stents) and it seems like since I have been taking a 325 mg. asa, it seems to be getting worse. I would understand if I had "hit" my arm or hand hard on something, but this is not the case. Purpura is the closest thing I can find and it fits, but wht is the cause??? I am a registered nurse, and tried to look this up online, but cannot find a clear answer.
Posted Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 18 minutes later
Thank you for posting a question.

From the nature of lesions you described, really sounds like purpura. I am totally agree with you.

Now, regarding cause, most probably, it is due to the baby aspirin you are taking. Except that, thrombocytopenia may also be a cause. So, just do a complete blood count to rule out any decrease in platelet count. If that is alright, then most probably, it is due to aspirin. In that case, you should do coagulation profile study including bleeding time and clotting time. Management will depend upon the findings of the tests.

So, consult with your treating doctor about this and for ordering the investigations required and for further management accordingly.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.