Have dark hyper pigmentation on genital areas. Scared of getting intimate. Have overproduction of melanin. How to stop it?

hi im a female 32 years old and have really dark hyper pigmentation on genital areas, between buttocks,1/3 of my thighs, and underarms since going through puberty about age 11, it has been very embarrassing and has stopped me from doing so many things i would have loved to do growing up, and even today as a single woman being ashamed of something as natural as getting intimate with a man. I have been too embarrassed to show my doctor. i know that i have an overproduction of melanin, how can i stop this?, and why is this happening?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
I can understand your concern for these symptoms but it can be due to:

1)     Hyperpigmentation skin which is darkening occurs when an excess of melanin, the brown pigment that produces normal skin color, forms deposits in the skin.

2)     Acanthosis nigricans which is a skin disorder in which there is darker, thick, velvety skin in body folds and creases. Since you are having acne as well as hirustism, endocrine diseases which can also cause acanthosis nigricans should be ruled out. In this disease, dark, velvety skin with very visible markings and creases appears in the armpits, groin and neck folds, and over the joints of the fingers and toes.

Your health care provider can usually diagnose acanthosis nigricans by looking at your skin. A skin biopsy may be needed in unusual cases.

For hyperpigmentation skin, treatment options include topical creams such as hydroquinone or alpha-hydroxy acids can be used but they are not without side effects. Cosmetic procedures, including cryosurgery, chemical peels and laser surgery are also helpful. There is no treatment to stop hyperpigmentation skin.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.