Have dark circles around eye, blocked nose and breathing difficulty. Allergy or sinus problem?

ENT Specialist
im finding it hard to breathe and have dark circles under my eyes, one nostril is completely blocked!! I have no energy yet can't sleep because it becomes harder to breathe lying down, do u think this is caused by an allergy? Sinus problems?
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 9 hours later

Thanks for posting the query

With this brief history, I do feel you could be suffering from 'allergic rhinitis' associated with or without deviated nasal septum. The dark circles around the eyes could be due to lack of sleep.

I doubt any sinusitis at this stage. Sinusitis is characterized by nasal block, headache, discharge from the nose, cough, etc.

My suggestions to you is to consult a good ENT specialist and get yourself examined. Meanwhile you can try the following:

1. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day.

2. A steroid nasal spray (such as fluticasone or momentasone) will be beneficial in relieving the block and the allergic symptoms.

3. Avoid sleeping under the fan or in front of the air conditioner.

4. Change the pillow cover every night before going to bed.

5. If you are having sneezing or running nose you can take an antihistaminic (loratidine or fexofenadine).

Hope with these measures you should be alright. Revert back to me if you have any further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon