Have dark circle around eyes. How to reduce this?

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
i have very huge dark circle under my eyes kindly suggest to reduce the same as well
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Beauty
Answered by Dr. Souvik Adhikari 1 hour later

It needs to be assessed first of all whether the dirk circles under your eyes are a result of some allergy or due to alteration of lifestyle. Mostly, these are a result of increased pigmentation in the area following lack of sleep, increased smoking and so on. This problem might be compounded with increased sun exposure. To treat the same, I recommend the following:

1. Avoid sunlight when you are outdoors: use a sunglass and make generous use of sunscreens over your whole face. Sunscreens should have a SPF of 26 minimum.

2. Use a retinol containing ointment (like Melacare) and use it for long term. You would need to go and visit a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon to find out which one is best for you. Some retinol containing ointments contain steroids (like Melacare Forte) which when applied to the area can cause a faster resolution but these should not be applied for too long a time unlike retinol containing ointments.

3. Take multivitamin supplements on a daily basis.

4. Increase the amount of fresh fruits in your diet.

5. Control smoking and alcohol intake as might be applicable for you.

6. Get at least 7-8 hours of sleep every day.

7. Natural remedies like application of cucumber and frozen spoon over the area can also help you.

The above steps should help you out in treating the under eye dark circles. If you have additional questions please let me know.

Wish you all the very best!

Dr. Souvik Adhikari
Plastic & Aesthetic Surgeon
Follow-up: Have dark circle around eyes. How to reduce this? 14 hours later
kindly suggest any cream or lotion to use near dark circule
Answered by Dr. Souvik Adhikari 12 hours later

Use Melacare ointment over the dark circles and you can get back to me with the results. Also, use sunglasses as advised and sunscreens before sun exposure.