Have dark brownish discharge. Pap smear and ultrasound showed clear. Worried

I am 71 years old and have a dark brownish discharge have had a pap smear and ultrasound nothing was found. I am worried .
Posted Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 3 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,
Dark brownish or XXXXXXX discharge are suggestive for bacterial vaginosis or trichomoniasis, but for definitely diagnosis you need properly laboratory investigation, exactly : antibiogram (testing for the sensitivity of an isolated bacterial strain to different antibiotics ) that will help you find exactly most potent antibiotic for your condition, and one of following tests: saline wet mount ( microscopic exam) , Whiff test ( with KOH solutions ), Culture , Affirm DNA hybridization method or Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay [ELISA] strip test. Additionally transvaginal ultrasonography( to examine vagina, cervix and uterus that can’t be examined by simply abdominal/pelvic ultrasonography). These tests will help to determine cause and accordingly right treatment.

I wish you good luck and speedy recovery,
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,