Have dandruff problem in the form of flakes causes irritation and scratching on head. Treatment?

Hello. I have dandruff problem in the form of flakes. Sometimes it is very irritating on my head so I keep on scratching on my head to get relief. And whenever I have bald pate, my head looks very worse with dandruff and will be very painful. I tried using many shampoos and couldn't make any difference. How can I get rid of this.
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 30 hours later
Welcome to healthcare magic,
Dandruff or pityriasis capitis is body's inflammatory response to an yeast called malazzesia. This yeast is a normal resident of human body. To get rid of dandruff you should get rid of this yeast.
I usually treat dandruff with a shampoo containing 2% ketoconazole and 1% ZPTO to be used 3 days a week on alternate days. After a month I reduce the frequency to once a week and this regime is maintained for a long duration.
This yeast loves oil and therefore do not apply oil over scalp.
Hope I have answered your query. Take care.