Have dandruff and pimples all over body. Temporary relief from medication. How to overcome this?

My name is XXXXXX , a chartered accountant from Bangalore .
I am working in night shifts 10 pm to 4 am since 3 months. I had a problem relating to my skin since last 4 years . I am getting pimples on face , hands ,backside of body and stomach also. I am getting some pimples on head which causes inconvience while working . I also had some dandaruff problem also. I consulted one doctor in hyderabad in october 2012 .He advised some medicines and beacuse of which some pimples reduced . But whenever i stopped using those medicines problem again starts . I will eat some oil food like eating dosa , noodles and regularly egg amlet . My hair getting wet by the time i wake after went for sleep in the morning 5 am. My Weight is 89kgs and Height is 5.9 . Age is 26

Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 1 hour later
Pimples or Acne Vulgaris is a common problem at your age.
The course of acne is marked by remissions, when you have minimal symptoms as well as exacerbations, when you have a flare of the lesions. Although it might seem that after a course of medication the pimples are absent, you might see a flare after sometime. The current anti acne medications are aimed towards a control of acne; however a complete cure is not possible.
Hence it is important that even when you do not have many symptoms, you are under a follow up with your dermatologist and do certain applications/regular skin care to keep the acne activity to minimal levels.

Since you have acne in a generalized distribution, you should review with your dermatologist the current severity of acne and get medicated accordingly. The common medications prescribed are antibiotics (oral and topical) and Retinoids (oral and topical).These may be started and continued till required

For care at home, Use a Salicylic (2%) face wash regularly. Do not use heavy/thick creams; always apply creams from reputed companied that mention 'hypoallergenic' and 'non-comedogenic' in the label.

As for your scalp, you may discuss the possibility of folliculitis with your dermatologist.

For dandruff/oiliness on scalp, you can use Ketoconazole 2% lotion as shampoo on alternate days for 1 month. Then maintain it by using once monthly.

Food does not have any consistent relation to acne; however some researchers believe a restriction in oily food and milk may control acne flares.

Hope this is helpful to you. I will be happy to answer your follow-up queries.
Best wishes,