Have damaged liver due to alcohol abuse. Prescribed Udihep. Will it damage my liver further?

Hi Doctor, I have damaged Liver because of Alcohol Abuse (alcoholic hepatitis or maybe pre-cirrotic). LFT enzymes GGT and Alkaline Phosphate are very high but others like AST, ALT, Bilirubin etc are normal. I have quit drinking now and following the doctors prescribed meds like vitamins etc. But recently another Doctor advised me to add Udihep 300 mg twice. My question is that I have read that Ursodesoxycholic Acid is beneficial only in PBC or in removing Gall Stones. My gall bladder has been removed 8 years ago. So why did he prescribe Udihep 300 ?? Can this medicine damage my Liver further? Should i stop it or continue it ? If continue, for how long ??
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 2 hours later

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic.

The best treatment for alcohol related liver damage is to quit alcohol. This you have already done. Regarding UDCA, you have read right. It has no definite role in alcoholic liver disease. It will certainly not damage your liver further. But it does not have much benefit also. You can definitly stop it.

Hope my suggestions help you. If you have any other queries you can always get in touch again.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal