Have damaged kidney, high creatnine, egfr and alt level. Taking lipitor. Effect on liver?

hi iam male 62 and damaged kidneys but creatnine and eGFR IS OVER 60 HAVE HIGH b.p. and non diabetic .i take couple of drinks daily before dinner .iam taking lipitor too.Latest blood showed that my ALT was 45 and upper limit is 46 but gammaGT test was ok.i know statins effects liver too.
my query is -----is my liver ok
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 47 minutes later

Thank you for your query. You mention kidney damage and I am assuming this
was a result of some kidney infection. You do have high blood pressure and if this is not well controlled, that could add to the kidney damage. This in turn could make your blood pressure worse. At least you
don't have diabetes which is good.

You also mentioned that you have a couple of drinks (Alcoholic) on a daily basis. I advise you to quit
drinking since this can add to liver damage and increase your blood pressure. You are taking statins probably for high cholesterol and alcohol can make it worse. Your ALT is in the upper normal limit and could go up more in time. You may not yet have liver damage but it can happen any time.

I suggest that you get a sonogram of your liver and gallbladder to rule out fatty liver and gallstones.
Avoid fatty, greasy or fried foods. Vitamin supplements like Vit-C 1000 mg. daily, Vit-E 800 i.u. daily and a super B-Complex vitamin tablet daily would be helpful.

I wish you the very best.