Have cytomegalovirus, cataracts and eyesight is going. What should I do?

I have cmv No AIDS My eyesite is going I am scared I am going blind....I have cateracts Plz help me What should I do?
I also have constipation & bleeding from the bowels Help
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Systemic and intra-ocular antiretroviral therapy

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

I am very sorry to hear about the diagnosis of CMV (cytomegalovirus) and the visual impairment or possible blindness (which is one of the more serious complications of CMV).

CMV can lead to retinitis in patients, and treatment includes two stages. The initial phase of therapy includes both a systemic antiretroviral medications (recommended internationally is oral valganciclovir; systemic medication also helps in preventing the spread of CMV to the healthy eye, if present; and other organ systems) along with local (intra-ocular ganciclovir) implants to be placed only by an experienced ophthalmologist. Maintenance therapy includes the use of once daily oral valganciclovir and replacing the intra-ocular implants once every 6-8 months. These are prescription medications for which you should visit your doctor at the earliest.

From your current list of medications you are being treated for your pancreatic condition, epilepsy, insomnia and pain; but no antiretroviral medications for your CMV.

The change in bowel habits and bleeding are also commonly seen in CMV-infected patients most commonly due to the occurrence of ulcers in the digestive tract. I would advise and urgent endoscopy to find location and size of the ulcers, and immediately initiate treatment for the same.

Please do visit a doctor at the earliest as all the above mentioned symptoms are purely from lack of medical attention, please do not delay treatment any further. The pain you are suffering needs treatment though injectable pain killers. Oral pain killers may increase the bleeding.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and hoping that all your symptoms disappear completely. Do write back to me for any further clarifications.

May god bless you with good health always.