Have cysts on lower back. Getting severe pain down leg. Ultrasound done. Looking for cure

Hi, I have two cysts on my lower back. They feel like they sit on my hip bones. They showed up about two years ago. One small one on the left side and one large one on the right side. They were the same size about a year ago. Then the one on the right has been getting larger and larger. Sometimes I think it presses on my sciatic never and sends shooting pains down my right leg. Sometimes I awake in the middle of the night from an aching pain from the larger cyst. My primary care doctor felt both of them and I had an ultrasound done last week but it felt like the technician was below both cysts (and I told her that) so I asked her if she could see them, but she wouldn't tell me. Yesterday they called to tell me "there are no underlying abnormalities XXXXXXX That's all. They didn't say anything about what kind of cysts I have or what I should do. I am not sure if she captured the cysts on the ultrasound. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 8 hours later
Hi welcome and thanks for writing in.
Such small cystic lesion at back are most likely a lipoma. It's size is stable for quite long duration and also it feels smooth , so there is very high chance that it is benign nodule.
You are correct in manner of doing ultrasound. You need to talk with your radiologist to do ultrasonography rather than doing by technician. Your will pick up by a good radiologist.
Another thing , sciatic nerve is very deeply seated . Any superficial lesion will not cause effect on sciatic nerve. Your previous medical history doesn't look related to present condition.
If there is difficulty in repeat ultrasonography then we can opt for advanced imaging like MRI. it will definitely helpful. However its decisions depends on repeat ultrasonography and your physician opinion.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.