Have cystic fibrosis colonised with pseudomonas and lung infection. Is Clindamycin effective for pseudomonas?

hi, I am a 59 year old woman with cystic fibrosis who is colonized with pseudomonas. I am currently fight ing a lung infection due to this. I have been very successful with beating the odds and beating back infections. However this is getting me. Is clydamycin effective for pseudomonas? I am taking oral ciproflaxen and tobi but still really dont feel well. I am having some chest pain today and I am uncomfortable, as well as very tired. My CBC count was 16 this morning. I dont think the clyndamycin is working at all.......
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 5 hours later

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
You are a known case of Cystic Fibrosis then you are quite susceptible to Pseudomonas Pneumonias in particular and you should be managed by an experianced physician on regular basis.
The Clindamycin is not an effective against pseudomonas at all.
It must be avoided flush.
You should not do self medication because Pseudomonas gets resistant very soon and becomes untreatable, in our country we have variants of this organism which are resistant to all antibiotics available till date.
Ciprofloxacin is effective agaist it but Levofloxacin is more appropriate for pneumonias due to pseudomonas; still you should take it in supervision of your physician.
I hope the advise would be helpful for you.