Have cyst on kidney. What are the complication?

I have a 6inch benign cyst on my right kidney . Is it life threatening .,,please answer
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 40 minutes later
Hello ma'am. Thank you for your query.

Your diagnosis is of a 6 inch simple kidney cyst.

A simple kidney cyst is completely harmless and does not even require treatment unless it causes symptoms (pain, fever, chills, etc.) or complications (infection, impaired kidney functions, etc.). Treatment involves a needle being inserted through the skin with ultrasound guidance, draining and disinfecting the cyst. A large or recurring cyst might require surgery. Not at all life threatening. Do not worry.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.