Have cyst in ovary. Should I remove ovary?

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
I have been advised to remove my ovary as there is a cyst. in the year 1984/5 i have had a similar problem and my left ovary was removed. I have attached my MRI report please do let me know if I ahve to go through this operation
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 34 minutes later

Your MRI report shows right tubo-ovarian mass. These are usually benign [non-cancer] cysts and may be due to infection or endometriosis. These are unlikely to disappear [even with medication]. These are likely to undergo complications like haemorrhage, torsion, infection etc. This may lead to emergency surgery.

Therefore, it is advisable to remove this cyst.

Do write back if you have more concerns.

Good luck
Follow-up: Have cyst in ovary. Should I remove ovary? 12 minutes later
I have been advised to remove the ovary not just the cyst. Please advise
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 21 minutes later

I am sorry; let me correct myself.

Please read the MRI report, which is tubo-ovarian cyst and right ovary, is enlarged. So, the advice is to remove the entire diseased ovary and the fallopian tube.

Hope this clarifies.