Have cuts on hands. Is it possible to contract HIV through kissing and hand holding?

HIV AIDS Specialist
I went on a date last night, which included kissing etc. and also holding hands.
I have cuts on my hands (it is very dry and cold here), but they are not actively bleeding and I believe that they were not bleeding during the date (it was cold and dark.)
Is it possible to contract HIV through this kind of hand holding? I believe that my date did not have any cuts and was not bleeding.
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Certainly not.
Kissing and holding hands are not the common way of HIV Transmission. Only deep kissing carries a low risk.
If it is possible to get HIV through just by holding hands almost most of us would have got the disease. Hand shaking is a very common custom almost in all places of the world. Definitely nobody can get infection by holding hands even in presence of a cut or wound.
HIV care providers and care takers of HIV children and orphans are not always wearing a protective gloves. It is not possible and it will stigmatize them and leads to discrimination. We are handling HIV positive individuals almost all with some type or other scratch lesions over forearms and hands.
So you need not worry unless you had an unprotected penetrative sex with somebody unknown or receiving blood transfusion from unknown persons.
So relax yourself and your chance of getting HIV is very negligible.
Dr S.Murugan