Have cutaneous amyloidosis. Is it true that it is not curable?

Hi, My consulting doctor told me that i have cutaneous amyloidosis and it is not curable... I want to confirm from you all that do we have any treatment for the same ?
Posted Wed, 6 Jun 2012 in Genetics
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 3 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

As mentioned by your doctor there is no specific treatment.

As you might be aware of there are 3 types of cutaneous amyloidosis.

It will be nice if you mention which one you are having and also mention briefly about the symptoms.

Treatment depends on the type of amyloidosis.

The treatment of lichen and macular amyloidosis is focused on relieving itch. Sedating antihistamines can be moderately effective. Topical and intralesional steroids may provide some relief if used with other treatments. Other treatments tried include topical dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) and phototherapy (UVB) or PUVA) have been tried.

Surgical treatment to remove amyloid deposits includes laser vaporization, dermabrasion, and excision of individual lesions. However, the chances of recurrence are always present.

The main aim of treatment of nodular primary localized cutaneous amyloidosis is to improve the appearance. Several methods are used and include antibiotics, topical and intralesional corticosteroids, cryotherapy, dermabrasion, shaving, curettage and electrodessication, carbon dioxide laser, and pulsed XXXXXXX laser.

I have mentioned the treatment options here and depending on the symptoms you have, treatments are considered. But the treatment is symptomatic not curative.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope I have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.